April 9, 2011

Family: What life is all about...

Two days ago Meg and I were outside with friends, sitting on a blanket under a tree.  Cali was upstairs still napping.  I asked Meg if she would go check to see if Cali had woken up yet.  Two minutes later I saw both of them walk out.  Meg had her sandals on, but Cali had her "barefeet" on.  I watched them walk down the steps, and then Meg sat Cali down on the sidewalk.  She then proceeded to take off her own shoes and put them on Cali's feet.  She then said, "Cali, you have to wear sister's shoes.  Keep them on.  There are lots of pokies and pine cones that can hurt your feet.  You have to wear my shoes."  I lost it.  I started to cry as I watched Meg, in her "barefeet" guide Cali (in her oversized sandals) to where I was sitting: on a blanket, in the shade, under a tree. 
Some nights I fall asleep wondering if I am a good mother.  I wonder if I have taught my girls anything besides the words "no", "stop", "and leave me a lone".  That day, Meg reminded me of what life is all about and what is most important: family and love.  I am going to be a better mom and follow Meg's example.

3 comments:

  1. She is a swsweetheart. Im not sure what we r gonna do when we don't get to see u everyday. My kids have fallen in love with ur girls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't tell you how much I miss you guys! Thanks for the update Pat! Give your girls loves for me and remind them who I am... These are the longest 3-4 months ever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwwwww.

    Very sweet, Pat. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete